Monday, February 15, 2010

Victorian orchard masters




Oh what a joy to have been a gentleman fruit grower in Victorian England! My friend has been looking after this tome for her neighbour and let me have a look at it. 'The Fruit Growers Guide', written by John Wright to some three volumes and published in 1892. In time I will show you some of the fascinating details and superb eccentricities of this (very) comprehensive handbook, but first here's a quick peek at a few pages.


There are many of these beautiful painted plates by Miss May Rivers. I've also seen this website where they are selling these pages for £60 a go - but I fear they have been cut out of editions of this book. Antiques shmantiques! Perhaps this pear 'Bergamotte Esperen' in the 'Bergamy' perry pear I bought off Dave Kaspar?




It's full of these beautifully detailed pen and ink drawings of branch structures, grafting and pruning techniques. Such admirable commitment to detail.

3 comments:

  1. That's really kool. I'm a big magners fan..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these books. Want a set.. The drawings are beautiful and the information is timelss
    Santa please!!!
    Sylvia

    BTW this is available as a reprint paperback if someone wants the content.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails